643 Mangels Avenue
Situated on a tranquil block in the hills of Sunnyside, this rustic modern home has been completely remodeled and expanded to almost twice its original size, highlighting the expansive southern views. Carefully crafted and designed by the owner of Shambhala Landscapes, the multiple levels of living space seamlessly transition between outdoor and indoor living. A beautifully landscaped entry leads the way up floating stairs into an intimate retreat, featuring handcrafted details and a unique blend of wood, steel, and concrete finishes.
Upon entry, light-filled vaulted ceilings frame the airy open kitchen, dining, and living spaces. The stunning and spacious kitchen features custom cabinet doors, brass hardware, solid white oak open shelves, a large white oak butcher block island, quartz counters, and full line Thermador professional appliances. Classic pendant lights and undermount shelf lighting complete this stylish yet practical space. A built-in bar with wine fridge and china cabinet provides additional storage in the dining area. Adjacent to the kitchen, the powder room is furnished with a custom wood and steel vanity and marble bowl sink.
The top level living space leads directly out of Anderson french doors onto the Ironwood deck, with stainless steel cable railings exposing the striking panoramic views. Reclaimed wood paneling over beams and accent walls add warmth and drama to the living room and staircase. The hand forged steel railing and solid cedar beam steps of the stairwell show the detailed craftsmanship.
The middle level features a generous master suite with private Ironwood deck and wall-to-wall built-in closets. Entering through an antique barn door, the ensuite bath houses a clawfoot tub, large shower with custom glass enclosure, graphic Portuguese tiles, and a Carrera marble double vanity. Down the hall, a full second bath with tub and second bedroom is perfect for kids or guests.
The lower level features a third bedroom with desk nook and large closet space. The bath on this floor houses a side by side steam washer and dryer with additional storage space. To finish, the grand fourth bedroom is a flexible space that can also be used as a family room, with large windows and double french doors leading directly to the lush landscaped yard. A side door provides independent access to the backyard if needed.
No detail is spared in this one-of-a-kind outdoor living space, with high quality custom built outdoor kitchen and seating area with natural gas fire pit. The kitchen has a concrete countertop, built-in Lion stainless steel grill, and sink and fridge. A wide variety of carefully selected plants complement the exterior structures, and will mature to fill the spaces with beautiful color and privacy. An automated drip irrigation system, artificial lawn, and custom large concrete paver patio allow for minimal maintenance. The low-voltage LED lighting system, large boulders, mature tree, and new redwood fencing frame the space. From the rear, the dazzling copper rain gutters finish off the home tastefully.
This gracious home is walkable to the Monterey Blvd corridor and minutes to freeways, Glen Park village, City College, Whole Foods, etc.
- Sunnyside location near Monterey Blvd and Ocean Corridor
- 4 Beds/3.5 Baths
- Approx 2312 Square feet of living space
- 3 levels of spacious living
- Custom designed front and rear yard landscaping
- Floating Ironwood exterior staircase
- Designed Ironwood paneling accents at entry
- Spacious cabinetry with brass handles
- Thermador professional range, fridge, dishwasher, and hood
- Solid white oak open shelving
- White oak butcher block island
- High end Anderson windows
- Anderson french doors
- Three levels of Ironwood decks
- Vaulted ceiling with exposed beams
- Reclaimed wood interior wall accents
- Natural gas linear fireplace with concrete surround
- Hand forged interior stair handrails and cedar wood steps
- Master ensuite with clawfoot soaking tub
- Outdoor custom kitchen with Lion grill, sink, and fridge
- Natural gas outdoor firepit and built-in redwood benches
- Artificial grass and many species of plants
- Drip irrigation system throughout
- Metal and glass garage door
- Tankless water heater
- Samsung steam washer and dryer
- New copper rain gutters and new roof
- Structural upgrades and new foundations throughout most of house
- New plumbing, heating, and electrical systems